South Korea to suspend military agreement with North Korea over trash balloon saga

South Korea to suspend military agreement with North Korea over trash balloon saga

TENSIONS in the Korean peninsula took a new turn after South Korea responded to what it described as North Korea’s vulgar and provoking behavior last week.

South Korean officials held a cabinet meeting on Tuesday to discuss the matter.

The suspension means South Korea will be allowed to conduct training near the military border and take “sufficient and immediate measures” against North Korea.

More than 200 balloons full of trash such as plastic bottles, batteries, shoe parts, as well as excrement landed in different parts of South Korea last week.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff described the act as a violation of international law and vowed to retaliate against North Korea.

The trash balloons were sent shortly after North Korea warned of “tit-for-tat action” against anti-Pyongyang leaflets flown by South Korean activists which it said will have a psychological impact on those who will read them.

North Korea said it will stop sending trash-filled balloons to South Korea after hundreds more floated across the border since last week.

South Korea said it will resume all military activities along the demarcation line that separates it from North Korea once the suspension takes effect.

 

Follow SMNI NEWS in Twitter

Follow SMNI News on Rumble